General, Bariatric and Endocrine Surgeon
Dr Mark Daoud, has undertaken postgraduate surgical training initially in NSW, Westmead Hospital then in QLD at the PAH, with surgical rotations between Townsville and Gold Coast. He has travelled to Germany, Belgium and USA in three consecutive years for advanced training in Obesity, Endocrine and Laparoscopic surgery. He performs all aspects of Laparoscopic General, Gastrointestinal and Obesity surgery. He is also an endoscopist, upper and lower GI endoscopy.
Dr Daoud commenced his internship at Ipswich Public Hospital and also QE2 Hospital. Subsequently he was transferred to Sydney where he worked at the Westmead Hospital in the major trauma centre and different surgical rotations for 2 years. Besides getting tremendous experience in surgery, this had raised his career aspiration to become a surgeon which he pursued.
He then moved to Newcastle, NSW, where he worked at the John Hunter Hospital and affiliated hospitals. Dr Daoud moved to Townsville General Hospital to work in the Cardiac Surgical Unit as well as General Surgery.
He then moved to Brisbane where he started his formal surgical training at the Princess Alexandra Hospital, Mater Hospital, Gold Coast Hospital and then back to the Princess Alexandra Hospital where he completed his surgical training program by passing his fellowship exam. He then worked as a staff specialist at the Mater Hospital for a year.
Subsequently he travelled overseas to Germany and Belgium where he did special training in Endocrine surgery and obesity surgery. He visits the best surgical units in the world with the most recent trip being in California and Chicago.
He also published papers which were presented in national and international conferences and recently reviewed 2 chapters in the book Basic Principles of Surgical Obesity.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery M.B.B.S. – 1987.
- Fellowship in General surgery FRACS – 2003.
- Fellowship in Endocrine & Obesity surgery in Germany and Belgium – 2004-2006.
- General Surgery.
- Laparoscopic Surgery and Obesity Surgery.
- Endocrine Surgery.
- GI endoscopy.
- Breast Surgery.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- Member of Gastroenterological Society.
- Member of General Surgery Australia.
- Member of Obesity Surgery Society of Australia & New Zealand OSSANZ.
- Member of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity & Metabolic Disorders (IFSO).
- Member of the Queensland Medical Board.
Additional Professional Activities and Contributions
Dr. Daoud has taught in master classes for revisional Bariatric surgery, also has mentored several surgeons in the field of Bariatric surgery. He regularly travels to Europe and the USA to update his skills and knowledge to the finest, up to date and state of the art level.
An easy and effective method of cholangiography in laparoscopicCholecystectomy: Laparoscopic cholecystocholangiography.
M Daoud, M McCallum. Aust. N.Z. J Surg. 1999 Feb; 69 (2): 138-40
Chapter book review, The Biliopancreatic Diversion,chapter 22, chapter 29, Principals of metabolic Revisional Suregry.
Principles of Metabolic Surgery, Springer- Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2012
Current Appointments (Public Hospital)
- Visiting Medical Officer (General Surgeon). Metro South Queensland Health.
Private Hospital Visiting Rights
- Brisbane Private Hospital.
- Mater Redlands Private Hospital.
- Sunnybank Private Hospital.
- St Andrews War Memorial Hospital.
- Laparoscopic Gastroenterological Surgery.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery for morbid obesity.
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery for obesity.
- Laparoscopic Revisional Bariatric Surgery.
- Minimally invasive endocrine and general surgery.
- Endoscopic Bariatric Surgery.
- Gastroscopy and colonoscopy.
- Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery.
- Breast Surgery.